Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Mentoring

As of late I have had that nasty dragging cold. The one that fills your head, weights you down and then when you think you might be feeling better after a terrific night sleep you still have that groggy foggy feeling. At first I thought it must be the gray day. Clouds, hues of gray through the fog, but then I came indoors and it followed me. I have to remind myself that this soon shall pass. In times like these it just feels that it is going to be my new normal.  My normal is not this at all.  I just loaded a video on YouTube and did not even realize it was sideways until now and I am too foggy to figure out how to change it.

I have been pondering for many days now the challenges of being a "mentor" type person.  I got an email from yet another sweet gal wanting me to come alongside and mentor her. My heart leaped with joy over this gal.  She loves the Lord. She is growing and gleaning hope from God's word. She has a disposition that is so easy to be around. I had been praying for her this past week. She was in my home a couple of weeks  ago and when she left I just smiled and prayed God would begin to challenge her to step out of her comfort zone.  And He is and she asked me to come alongside in some of this stepping out.

So what exactly is the challenge.  It's not a challenge when I see women desiring to grow in Christ. Yearning to know Him more, walking closely with Him, and my job is simply to come alongside and encourage that in all aspects of life. I don't have great words of wisdom, but in most cases I know where to go for that wisdom, and if I don't I can generally find that wisdom. All spelled out in the Bible.  I am no saint.  I sometimes I say a swear word and hope no one heard it. I have opinions and ideas about life, and have to guard my heart to not impart my own opinions, but to impart Godly, Biblical, Sound wisdom.

So what exactly is the challenge?  The challenge is when there is no moving forward in how one relates to God, grows in His wisdom and words.  The challenge is resistance to submitting to His Word, and then trying to find the right words to express the beauty and joy in walking with Him. Is that challenge for you as well when sharing the wonders and amazing of walking with Jesus?  Our habits govern us and if your habit is not about Jesus, then to begin building those habits is what I find the first order of mentoring. It's not enough to just show up, and have a wonderful coffee date. I want everyone whom I come alongside with to be dependent on the joy in walking with Jesus. To be encouraged in doing this in all aspects of life. Sometimes the lines get blurred in mentoring, but I want others to see my life, even if it's sitting around my kitchen counter around 6:00pm when it is crazy. Am I still holding the hand of Jesus?  What does Elizabeth's life look like in the midst of that crazy?  When tragic moments come my way, am I still holding the hand of Jesus?  When there is a song that makes me cry, am I still holding the hand of Jesus?  As others look to me for wisdom, guidance and encouragement I pray they see this crazy, disorganized mom, throwing food across the counters and tables to a house of six conversations at once,  that true joy in my life, that woman who is holding the hand of Jesus in all I say and do.  Inspiring others to do the same.

It is a challenge and one that I will continue to ponder.  I have met some amazing people in my life, and sat with this lovely who is doing life with many young people as well.  Have we become the older women that Titus 2 speaks of:

Titus 2:3-5
 "Likewise, teach the older (me) women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. Then they can urge the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God."

My commentary then reads:
"In keeping with the theme of good works, older women are not to engage in evil practices like slander, gossip, or drunkenness; instead, they are to teach the younger women.  They are to give encouragement through advice.  Older women are to pass on their insights to their younger counterparts, love their husbands, obedient to their husbands, teaching the younger women that their actions would glorify God, build his Kingdom and strengthen the family."

I can only do this, as I engage in the habit of walking closely with God.  Some have walked closely with me for many months and years and then slowly they faded into their busy lives.  That will be my next post and pondering on living life as an older woman of God.  I pray Lord Jesus that the challenges of those whom I mentor would be overcome by your Divine Interventions into all our lives as we live out the habits of knowing and loving you.  elizabeth

2 comments:

  1. E: "older woman of God"... LOL, I hardly view you as older... Is that because I'm old?! You speak truth in love... That's the difference between being a true mentor and being someone who thinks they can mentor... You allow people to see your "real". I believe that's exactly what God wants from us... to show others our real and to allow others to see how we struggle- yet still have love... You are and always will be a mentor to me... Christelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. So powerful! Glad to be a "mentor" type with you!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts on this post, so please take a moment to comment.