Sunday, November 13, 2011

Psalm 85

If I could sum up this week with four words they would be "out of my control."  I knew I would have jury duty on Tuesday.  I cleared my day, arranged care for the boys, and planned a half day, like it was the last time I showed up for jury duty.  I had a good book and was looking forward to some quiet reading.

My number was pulled and thus began a journey that ended late Thursday.  I had to cancel a day of vacation. A day set aside to go the beach with a dear friend, be renewed, refreshed, and then I had to cancel.  I had a client hanging on the last few details of a large project coming to an end. I had important meetings scheduled all day Thursday while the boys would be in school.  All moved to Friday.  A day off for my boys, turned into unexpected fun with big sister who babysat as I ran out the door at 7am for my first meeting. They were then handed off to a sitter, which for the boys was a very fun play date. My last meeting ending around 8:30pm.  Finding a sliver of time to spend with a precious young friend as she joined me while I grocery shopped in the early evening.  I think I might plan more dates like that. We had a blast.

Jury duty disturbed my heart on so many levels. The drive home on Tuesday the car was quiet. No music playing, no news. Just prayerful thanksgiving for my life. It's hard this week. It's hard in and out of many weeks, but even so, after sitting in a court room and hearing the details unfold I could only thank God.  My lack of control was due to the fact that when your number comes up, the judge does not write a note to excuse me because I have a beach day, or meetings, or children I miss picking up from school. No, it's no longer my time.  Each night working on the work I had not been able to work on in the day. Boys to bed and then playing catch up to meet work deadlines. My head has been spinning.

And then the peace over my heart as I open God's word to the poetry of David in the Psalms. 
Psalms 85: 10-13
"Love and faithfulness meet together;  righteousness and peace kiss each other. Faithfulness springs forth from the earth, and righteousness looks down from heaven. The LORD will indeed give what is good, and our land will yield its harvest. Righteousness goes before him and prepares the way for his steps."

The scripture reads of how God reminds of His love, faithfulness, righteousness,and goodness. Sitting in a court room, there is none of this.  Being subjected, my time that is out of my control, reflections of God's word is what brings peace to my heart. 

Praying tonight peace in the city of Portland.

1 comment:

I would love to hear your thoughts on this post, so please take a moment to comment.