Sunday, April 11, 2021

Abstract Painting in Session

 


It was going to a be a hot day in Palm Desert. Still recovering from plastic surgery I am getting ants in pants.  I cannot not bike, swim, play tennis, or even swing a golf club. A friend of mine started sharing his painting pieces on Facebook.  He truly inspired me to jump back into painting. I started missing all my craft supplies in Oregon. In you are like me and love to craft you have bins and bins full of all kind of fun activities waiting to be created. 

Most of my painting over the years have been on furniture pieces and larger canvases to match my displays in my store. I started painting furniture in the summer of 1993 when I first opened my store. As with any new retail business your day is spent watching to see who is going to walk through your door. After a few slower days I bought paint and painted a stepstool pink with flowers. It gave me something to do instead of hovering over those customers coming in. Stepstools turned into canvas art that matched the room displays, which turned into painting large pieces of furniture

Last summer I bought all new paints, brushes and canvases for a summer camp where I would be, "The Craft Lady". With Covid camp was cancelled. Here I am a state away pining for some painting. I finally gave into Amazon and ordered just enough supplies to get me through the next few weeks of recovery. I woke up early, and started painting and just kept going. 

It was always easy to schlep what you made in your own store. Now, not having a storefront I am pretty sure I will be able to fill my own gallery by the end of my recovery. Especially since I just ordered more paints and canvases.  Gordon was kind enough to give me my own room.  That room now called my, Art Studio. This room is a semi outdoor art studio room to keep this mess of colors and canvases contained. 

I have always been an easy breezy creative gal. The funny thing about painting is that I actually could not master the paint and the brush at the Art Institute of Seattle in the 1980's. Because of that experience I thought I was a terrible and painter.  I loved all my classes but I dreaded my painting class. I learned very quickly that I could not connect my brain with the rules and specification presented for the class projects. My brain wanted to create my own art. However the goal was not to know yourself, but to know your future clients and be able to approach each project with your client in mind. I have a lot of energy and I could not concentrate on specifications presented to me in paintings.  That was over 35 years ago.  Once I took the time to learn my own style I enjoyed painting.  All my kids have been exposed to their share of paints and brushes. 

With my own style and with no specifications I found my groove. When I started painting custom orders for customers I did find my way to meeting my clients criteria. It's been years since I had my own store and the internet is a great way to get your products out to the world. I have had my Etsy shop now for a few years and all my pieces will be thrown up on the shop. 

I posted pictures on Facebook of these pieces. I was truly blessed by all the comments my friends made on Facebook. As I look at each piece I smile. Painting makes me happy. Painting is a quiet thought process of self expression. Painting is my connection with colors that make me smile and make me happy. I hope after looking at these pieces you are smiling and these pieces make you happy. 

Here is my etsy link if you want to purchase a print. 

https://www.etsy.com/shop/skiptomyroom



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts on this post, so please take a moment to comment.