Sunday, August 5, 2018

Thanking God FOR the Little Things

Do you take the time to notice the small things God does in your life? Today is the start of thanking God for the little things. After my last blog which you can read here https://elizabethonthego.blogspot.com/2018/05/set-me-in-large-place.html I really wanted to just expand on this one event in my life. Because it is the BIG ways God answers our little tiny prayers. And if we sit back and really start thinking of the details of every day life, you soon realize just how present God is in how He answers prayers.

Let's talk about this car. Four years ago I needed a four wheel drive. It was the end of the first season's snow and ice that came early. (Notice the curb is still showing signs of a snow melt. ) I had already had one snowy icy winter in a small community along the Columbia Gorge. I had a van with only rear wheel drive. Lots of hills and lots of snow and ice. I was living out on a farm and the black ice and snow are dangerous in these parts. A 30 minute drive to work, turned into over an hour crawling through snow and ice.  I remember thinking if I have to go another winter in snow and ice with this car, my van, I am going to be house bound. And the memory of a 45 minute slow slide down my driveway in what felt like 10 feet of snow and ice still lingered. (By the way the telephone pole DID NOT win that day.) I started praying. I was a new single mom and had to really watch my financial resources. I had no clue how to buy a used car. As in no clue.

I went car looking. Looking at used SUV's. I was told that you "never" buy brand new. Since I have my cars for more than ten years at a time I was out in left field with no mitt. (That is for you Ethan if you are reading.) I started praying.  I remember thinking, "God do you bless people with cars?"  "God if you really love me, please make it a nice safe car." "God I know you love me and I am sorry for trying to challenge your love but really a four wheel drive, pretty please." "And leather, and a white car, and FOUR WHEEL DRIVE." I kind of felt like that teenage girl who prayed and asked God for four boys and a girl when I grew up. I mean really, He did answer that prayer, why not a car prayer?

After car shopping and feeling even more stressed out I went to my store (Skip To My Room). Lauren, my employee asked me how the car shopping went. I slunked in my chair and said you can pretty much plan on opening the store everyday as I will not be driving in. Of course I was joking but car shopping with stressful. And sales people make you think they could put you in a Bentley today. And I really was content with my current vehicle. It was the bomb-diggity and great for all the hauling of products for my store, but sheesh. When I bought that car I admit I knew nothing about cars, I had no idea that not all cars are not four wheel drive. As an adult all my previous cars were four wheel drive. I will never forget about 12 years ago when I bought the van, I took the boys to Pacific City. I went to drive down onto the beach, and it bottomed out. Luckily some muscle dudes came and pushed me out. One guy said, "You might not want to be driving your two wheel drive onto the beach." I looked at him puzzled. I had only had the car for a few months. Driving around the Portland area does not require four wheel drive. I told him that I am pretty sure my car is four wheel drive, after all it was a big van. He looked in on the dash and around the steering column and confirmed that it was wheel rear drive, two wheels.  Okay. we can't all be knowledgeable about everything. LOL

Later that afternoon, feeling defeated about car buying,  Gordon walked into my store. Good Ol' Gordon and I worked on a business project together. He was older and wiser. About 15 years older than me and I may have referenced his age with wisdom when I started the conversation on car buying. Gordon often stopped by to visit, chat about business strategies, shooting the breeze on finance on business. I loved talking with Gordon. Being older and wiser I asked him about car buying and used car buying. I told him that I was actually talking with God ALOT about this process, and really needed an angel in human form to help me out. Gordon asked me what I was looking for. I told him exactly what I needed in a car. I told him that it would be a bonus blessing if it was white and leather seats, as a car full of boys would fair better. He listened intently. He asked me what my budget was. I told him.

Then he said, "Come with me". Come with me, as in get in his car and let's take a ride. I actually thought he and I were going to car lot row just down the street. As we drove, he said he had just put his "other" car on Craigslist.  I kid you not, we drove to his house. He opened his garage and there was this big white SUV.  He went inside and got the two sets of keys. Handed them to me, and said drive it around. If it suits you, keep it and we can work out the details of payment. He told me the price, which was out of my budget, and then he continued to say that he would cut his asking price in half to accommodate my budget. I drove it for five minutes, called him and said I will take it.
It has been four years since the blessing of this vehicle landed into my life. We are a road tripping family. The car had about 70K miles on it when it was turned over into my care. This past month it turned over 200K. And it still running beautifully. ( One thing my daddy taught me, oil changes, maintenance and good tires. CHECK!!)

Last night I was driving home late with the boys from a BBQ. I thanked God for this car. All I could think about is how God gives us good gifts. If we took a day to really think about what He orchestrates on our behalf it is never a coincidence. And a white car with leather seats. He knows our hearts and our desires and He Masterfully puts the universe in order. In His time and in His miraculous ways. There are many situations that go without resolve. And if I am being honest I get frustrated with God. Asking the "why's". When I start down the path of "why" I quickly adjust the course of thought to the many ways HE has blessed my family. I turned towards thanking God for the little things. Believe me, a car is NOT a little thing. It seemed trivial at the time as I had a good working car.


A few years back I thought I would take a year to blog, every single day of how God has blessed me. I wanted to thank God for the little things.  I think, as writers and story tellers, there is a tendency to wait for the BIG moments or stories. What about those small ways that have HUGE significance? A day does not pass with me thanking God. Even in hard or difficult times and moments, the minute the tears dry I am thanking God. Thanking God for the little things.

Stay Tuned because my inventory of little things in more than a million in my life time.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts on this post, so please take a moment to comment.