Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The Words Never Came

I have had the glorious morning of resting. It has been a few days of battling being sick. In my mommy kind of way I ignore being sick and carry on with the day. I grumble a little that I can't just go to bed and get well. I don't complain much because the reality is that being a stay home mom means just that. I am home. I don't have to figure out what to do with kids, balance a job, and then fight being sick. So thanks God that I can be home. Today, not a good day for mom in the health department.

Emily was off to classes which left Elliot. I did not even have to ask. He told me to go back to bed and he would care for the boys. All the things that go through my head were ready to come out of my mouth. Things like...brush their teeth, lunches, school on time, homework, don't lose your brother's, shoes, coats, potty breaks....but the words never came. I had to let go for today, being the overprotective well thought out mom. Elliot is going to care for them the way Elliot will care for them. If they eat granola bars all day it will not hurt them. I just had to smile and let him know today was a paid position.

The words never came. Those words have circled in my brain and I had to ask myself if this was God showing me a little of what Proverbs 15: 23 which reads...A man has joy in an apt answer, and how delightful is a timely word.....

My words this morning would not have been timely. Elliot was jumping in and doing his best to help his sick mom and serve his brothers and me. The last thing he needed was a list running out of my mouth. I think it would have discouraged him in serving our household at this time. How often do the words spin out of our mouths only to later think...shoot I should not have said that? In thinking over this morning I am so glad I don't have to ask myself that question. My lack of words were timely, and pressed so on my heart. I was reminded of this Proverbs because I am working on this in my personal life every single day. Praying that God will help me to be mindful of my timing and guess what the words never came.

4 comments:

  1. What an amazing example you are to the rest of us Elizabeth. So many times we speak when we should not. I am like you and working on that. What a blessing to know that the Lord has placed such a wonderful young man in your life. Elliot is certainly an example to many of the young men around him. I pray that you feel better as the day passes. Thank you for sharing your heart with all of us today. I know I did need to hear it. You are a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I struggle with this greatly. I often think later on of course about which words I should not have said. I then beat myself up thinking of how inadequate I must be. It's a horrible cycle and I will rest on the words that you shared today. Thank you dearly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good to know that sometimes... we actually get it right... well, at least you do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great word, friend. and a great son you have!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts on this post, so please take a moment to comment.