Sunday, October 15, 2017

Single Parent Insights #4356

Are there to many blog posts about being a single parent? I have not really googled to look up single parent blogs, nor do I have the time.  This evening stuck a single mama funny bone. A funny about being tired, and wanting to turn in for the night and wishing sometimes there was another grown up in the house to tend to the children. Tonight it's just me, the single gal who will keep showing up for her kids no matter how tired I am. At the end of a week believe me I am beat. And sitting down for a few minutes and I could go right to sleep.


I have always prayed that my boys would have solid young men in their lives.  Men to talk cars, and sports and all the boys stuff that boys love. From Elliot all the way down to Emerson my boys have always had a solid group of community to love and lead them. However this evening I had a good chuckle. A chuckle over being the single mama connecting with her teenager over what interests he has.

My boys will ask me questions like I am all knowing and the smartest mom ever. They have even asked me at times how I could know so much. Let me start by saying that it does not take much to have a kid think you know a lot. The secret is simply asking them questions about what they love, they in return teach you and then you are able to carry a conversation about what they are interested in.

This evening a conversation went like this:

"Mom, you know how a Lotus breaks down a lot?" 

I am thinking that we are talking about a car since this particular kid is fascinated with sports cars. And everyone knows in that first seen of "Pretty Woman" Vivian jumps into a Lotus. So there is my knowledge of a Lotus.


"Yes, I am pretty sure they do break down a lot."

"Wow mom you sure know a lot about cars."

When in fact I know nothing of a Lotus breaking down, I just repeated back what one child already knew. And that child went on to explain to me in more details as he watched a car show.

What is the point of this blog? The point is simply this. It's hard at the end of the day to give more ears and attention to one kid. You are the only parent, or grown up in the room for them to process life with. Be there for them always. Even if it's just repeating back what they have said. Listen, ask questions and discover how much knowledge you can learn from your kids. In return you are able to share conversations with your teenagers.

I have found the greatest joy in just sitting with my children know matter how tired I am. The phone put away, the car show on and minutes from nodding off. They do not remember all the hard details of having a single mama. They remember that you sat with them and talked about cars.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts on this post, so please take a moment to comment.