Thursday, December 8, 2011

Hung Out To Buy

This first picture is the results of a project I have been working on  for two years.  It's been a growing side hobby of collecting fine things for children's rooms. New and used lovely Kids Room Bedroom Fashions as I like to call it.  Two years of storage, buying more storage bins, and sewing a little here and there and this is what I end up with.  My husband is glad to see that it's all contained. Up until about three weeks ago it was tucked and placed in various available spots all over my house and garage.  Now contained nicely.

It is not anything new to my ventures. I had a plan when I was 24 years old. I worked on it, prayed about it and found myself wanting to keep a little busy while children napped, and then went off to school.  That little project turned into a fully run business and about 40 employees.  I am not going there again. That was way to busy.  I want to start with the same enthusiasm, the same creative twists and turns. I want to still have time to allow God to keep me available to be used by Him. Yet He gives me these creative bursts, He designed me that way and now getting ready for the next step.

I was reading on someone's facebook status, a verse I have been trying to find.  I was searching the New Testament and then she posted it. Boy was I way off....it's in the old testament.

"Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed. If one person falls, the other can reach out and help. But someone who falls alone is in real trouble. Likewise, two people lying close together can keep each other warm. But how can one be warm alone? A person standing alone can be attacked and defeated, but two can stand back-to-back and conquer. Three are even better, for a triple-braided cord is not easily broken." Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 NLT

For my newest business venture I wanted to have a theme verse. It's a good solid base from which to pray and build on. I have someone who is helping me with this business. Dawn Gorski is the mother of three children of her own, a dog and a very supportive husband.  We are both blessed to have husbands who see our creative craziness and embrace it.  She brings much organization. I could have never contained all this stuff like this had it not been for her help. She helps me stay on task, mixing and matching our goods and back end web stuff that I desperately needed help with.  Together we sorted two years of collecting, inventoried it all and we are now working to make things happens by January 2012.  Dawn and I share the same passions for design, function, pretty things, fun things, and creating amazing rooms for the places and spaces for kids.


Twenty years ago there was no internet.  I never set out, when I first started out, to run a large business. I would work in my little shop, painting, sewing, designing and doing the things I love. Once the store was bigger than life I was swept away from the day to day creatives I loved so much. I am really looking forward to going back to doing those little things.  Dusting off the sewing machine. I even bought new push pins today. Little pearl white on the ends. Pretty.


I have my paints ready, my fabrics chosen and even started naming the collections.  Here are some themes I will be building off of. I put these on facebook too.


Meet "Simply Sabrina"
These lovely fabrics will turn into bedding, accent pillows, embellishments on little surprises to decorate with.
















And then as I was thinking over the next collection, I thought of my childhood friend Margaret.  She would climb trees with me, loved pretty things, and shared her lunch with me. So meet this lovely "Margaret".  I will make this into some bedding as well as fun throw pillows, mixing and matching fabrics.

And just to get you excited about just one more collection I am working on, Meet "Vivian Blue".  I met little Vivian in Emerson's class a few weeks back. I had to look for her as Emerson said he liked saying her name.  This fabric reminds me of her so I named this collection after her.


I will be working these next weeks to sew up some cute bedding, pillows, window treatments.  Adding in paint selections to add into each room, some lamps and fun accents.  My hope is that the website will not only be a website to visit and buy cool things, but people will go there and learn how to mix and match and put cute rooms together. It's pretty much what I have done my entire adult life.  The fun is doing the creating.  For the past 15 years I have had a sewer, and I am pretty nervous getting back into the driver's seat, but I am assured by the cuteness of these fabrics, my pearl white push pins, and new fancy scissors, that I am going to do fine.

If you want to go and take a peak the basics of the website are there.  www.hungouttobuy.com.  I am keeping it very simple, so hopefully it's easy to navigate and take a look at.  So blessed by the provisions God has made to bring this together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts on this post, so please take a moment to comment.