Monday, March 15, 2021

Plastic Surgery Journey-Part One

 JUNE 2005

There I stood buck naked in front a doctor taking the "before" pictures. I nervously laughed and said, "This is not exactly the kind of model I ever dreamed of being." It was my way of making light of an embarrassing moment in time. 

I was very proud of myself for being able to wear my bikini after only six weeks post partem with my 3rd baby. I ran, I swam, I played tennis, I swung a golf club, I biked, I road horses and I went to the gym at least three times a week. I remember in my 8th month of pregnancy on the tennis court and announcing to my Friday evening tennis partners that this had to be my last game. Playing tennis at 8 months pregnant was now to much. The baby was delivered and walks started, which lead to a few days back at the gym and wham back into my pre-pregnant clothes was pretty easy. Then Eric happened.

That 4th child pregnancy when all activities stopped. Good nutrition went out the door. But really out of my mouth as I could not keep ANY food down. No salad, no chicken, no fresh fruit. I was throwing up several times a day.  I remember the Dr. telling me I had to find something to keep down because after losing about 14 pounds the first 8 weeks of pregnancy this was not good. I could not even keep a prenatal vitamin in my belly. Now enter the fast food drive-through for the next 6-7 months.

It only took one Big Mac to know that I had no problem keeping fast food down. One afternoon I was sitting at the dinner table and announced that my arms were getting fat. I lifted up my arm and the fast food flab was setting in. Hallelujah by my 6th month of pregnancy I gained 23 pounds. Not so good. My first three pregnancies' I had not gained more than 23 pounds in an entire 9 months. Being the good student of pregnancy I was I found what my body could keep down.  Greasy fast food, ice-cream, cookies and cakes. I had been put on partial bedrest due to a prolapsed uterus thus eliminated all exercise, and my activity was limited to getting the mail, sitting in an office and walking to the bathroom or from point A to B. But I was happy to walk to the car and hit up the next drive through.  I can say with confidence that Eric was gestated on at least 3 BK Broilers a week, 3 Baskin Robbins Brownie Sundays a week, Nachos, and fries, and tacos. And there you have me gaining up to 65 pounds with Eric. Although I always say gained 80 pounds because that is what it felt like to me. 

All would have been well if he weighed 65 pounds at birth. Then the weight would be gone. But that little stinker only weighed in 9'6 which left me with over 50 pounds of pure fast food chub. And life with a newborn, and a deaf 2 year old and tweens did not allow for time back at the gym and biking, running and tennis were put on hold.  

I had my 5th pregnancy, only gained about 22 pounds, and lost that shortly after he was born but the residual weight from baby number 4 still stuck around. And my wardrobe became leggings and long oversized shirts to cover up my belly.  I was still me. I was not someone who lived in the insecurities of my body, nor did I have sobering body image issues. I accepted that my nice wardrobe no longer fit. I dressed frumpy with oversized this or that because it was comfy and easy. My personality did not change. I did not avoid big mirrors or the stories you read or hear about with women and poor self image. Most of my life I liked myself and just saw this extra tummy hang as something to accept and I did for years. 

Before my 5th child was born I was in front of the plastic surgeon taking the pre-op pictures. I actually calculated that it would cost more money to replace my wardrobe than to have plastic surgery. I had my 87 year old best friend with her guest room ready to care for me 2 weeks post opp. I had childcare arranged for all the kids and in June of 2005 I was scheduled on a Monday to have all that fast food, which landed dead center in my belly to be removed. 

The Saturday, back in 2005  I was running errands. While eating a late breakfast I realized I was chewing ice. I have never liked ice in my beverages. The only time I would chew on ice was when I was pregnant. After that meal I zoomed over to Fred Meyer and bought 3 pregnancies' tests. ALL tested positive.  All resulted in baby number 5, Emerson. And the cancellation of my scheduled, "Mommy Makeover" surgery. I cried and cried. I don't even have my ears pierced twice. I do not like bodily pain. It takes ALOT to work up to the idea of someone cutting across your belly. I never had a C-section with any of my pregnancies. This was going to be a big deal. And one pregnancy test put this procedure to a screaming halt.

With three busy little boys and busy teenagers there was never any time to really schedule this procedure again. In 2008 I decided to work out the extra weight issues on my own. I hopped back on the bike, I started walking,  running on a treadmill and doing all the activities that I love doing. Within a year I had dropped about 35 pounds. No special diets, just cutting out the foods that I did not need, and moving my body. What was left was nothing but blub on my belly. Let's be real here. If you have this kind of overhang you know first hand that on hot days, it get's sweaty and sometimes heat blisters in that area. It's not just a cosmetic alteration, it's better feeling all around. I was sad to not have the procedure but knew someday that day would come. Now on to part two of my "Plastic Surgery Journey". 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts on this post, so please take a moment to comment.