Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Plastic Surgery Journey-Part Two

 How my plastic surgery journey was jump started all over again. 

At the start of  my 50's I asked myself what I might want to do for the second half of my life. I decided that serving and helping other people in a way that I could also make a little income. I could also committ more time to painting. All those paints and canvases were ready to be resurrected on a daily basis.  I would also be continuing in my design, marketing and consulting parts of my business.   

I also became a part time caregiver. As I began caring for a number of people I learned things about the human body and the inability people have to care for themselves with failing bodies. Women who were in good health, lean, having birthed a few kids, in their later years, carrying that same belly as I.  The problem is that they were not able to keep this area clean. Blistering, pharmaceuticals applied to prevent infection, Wraps, gauze and wound care for an area of the body that was easily infected and blistered.  I use to joke that I now had a care plan when I get old for caring for this part of my body. This experience got me thinking that I may want to consider getting that tummy tuck after all. 

In early 2020 I met with the plastic surgeon who was originally going to give me my "Mommy Makeover" 17 years ago. I asked him why insurance does not cover this procedure. I shared with him my caregiving experiences and the expense, discomfort and care later on in life for this area of the body. Now that I see the other end of life and the care needed I realized that more than ever I was going to take care of myself before others would have to care for me in my old age. 

I did my research and priced out the "Mommy Makeover" procedure. Not much had changed in 17 years except the price. I also decided that this time around I did not need to have a full mommy makeover. Just a tummy tuck. I also needed to have 4-6 weeks cleared off my calendar for healing and care. 

I consulted my care team. Gordon and my daughters. Their schedules and their time. In Palm Desert, CA the price was 1/3 less than Oregon. I found a clinic with a wonderful staff and a Dr. who did not shy away from my gazillion questions. The date was scheduled. As of writing this blog I am exactly one week post op. 

The following is a few pictures which tells a bit of the story of my Surgery day. Other blogs will follow of my healing journey.

I woke up on Wednesday March 10th 2021 and made sure I was bathed, hair washed, legs shaved and ready for the big day. Post surgery you can not bath (except a sponge bath the first two weeks).
Gordon dropped me off. My surgery was scheduled at 10am and expected to last about 4 hours. Surgery went well. The procedure is basically called an, "Extended Tummy Tuck" from one hip to the other. I was told by the nurse that when I was coming off the meds from surgery I kept crying and telling them, "You have to let me leave now. Gordon is waiting on the golf course for me. We have a tee time." Apparently I was crying my eyes out and kept saying the same thing over and over. I do remember the nurse telling me if I did not stop crying I could not go home. 

Gordon returned with his daughter, Atlanta to pick me up. The doctor gave specific instruction for my care for the next couple of weeks. Gordon and Atlanta got me home and tucked in bed. Atlanta later told me that I was crying and begging Gordon not to leave me. She said that Gordon said, "Where am I going to go? I am not going to leave you." My answer through all the tears was, "The kitchen."  Oh my gosh the medications they give you make you so silly and loopy. 

One important job the doctor gave instruction on was to change my drains every 4 hours. My first 24 hour care team covered me in TLC.  Here is Gordon taking the first shift for drains being cleaned. I am not kidding when I say that through all the loopy moments post-op this moment made me love him more. 

I have had so many people on my social media postings messaging me about these drains. Referencing that this seems like major surgery. Having your body cut in half from one hip to the other is basically more than just a magician act.  I had 5 and a half pounds of belly removed. You are on pain meds, antibiotics, vitamins to heal. Your body is fighting to heal and good care is a wonderful gift.  The drains remove all the excess fluids your body is producing. 


This precious girl, Atlanta, Gordon's daughter taking care of me. Seeing that all my needs were met from helping me calm down from crying and feeling scared to laying beside me, rubbing my head and telling me it was all going to be okay.  I think as I came off the meds the reality of what my body just went through hit me. Atlanta was this calming soul, with her sweet words to get me through those 1st 24 hours. 

I woke up the next day and thought, "What the heck did I do?"  Atlanta and Gordon shared their stories, we all laughed and I took this picture of day one, swollen, bandaged and drains hanging off of me. (Which I quickly learned how to conceal.) Managing the pain is repeated over and over by the doctor. As I write this blog one week post op I can say that I have done a great job, for the most part, managing the pain.  I am truly blessed by the people in my life who extend so much love and care for me. 

On the evening of my first day post-op my daughter flew in from Nashville, TN to take care of her mama. That will be new blogs to read and follow my journey. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts on this post, so please take a moment to comment.