Sunday, May 13, 2018

Happy Mother's Day 2018


How about another "Mother's Day" blog? I never thought that I was the voice of wisdom when it came to being a mother. As a matter of fact when asked, over the years, various questions about parenting I always circled back to the greatest teacher of motherhood, God's Word.

One thing I have learned in being a mother is this simple and powerful truth. From 1Corinthians 13:8 the passage starts with "Love never fails."  This truth is what has been the foundation of being a mother. Love, what does it mean?  The passages before this verse are as follows and build the founations of what love is.

1 Corinthains 13:4-6

"4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres."

This is my answer to being a mother. In any and all circumstances God's Word taught me to be a mother. Read this passage and ask God to pour His words into you as you mother your children. Those days when you need extra patience, when you need to be kind look to God's Word. In a world of social media conversations I ask that you NEVER dishonor your children on social media or any where.  I have actually messaged mama's carrying on about the negative behaviors of their children and believe me when I say, it was not easy, but it was not honoring to their child. And when you feel your temperature rising, take a walk. Hold that anger in check and be an example to your children of grace in difficult times. Protect, trust and hope because love never fails. 

One day they will grow up and you will leave a legacy of motherhood. What will that look like? I posted on instagram today this picture of my children. A picture taken a few years back. Here is the message I sent to my children...

"My dear children, you have no idea the absolute JOY my heart feels to think that God would choose me to be your mama. The greatest gift you each give me is your love and passion to be like Jesus and your friendships with each other. My heart is full."

May you find peace in this day. Remember that love never fails. If  you have lost your mother, may this be a day to honor and reflect on her goodness. If you have a strained relationship with your mother, remember she chose you. She may have not known how to be a good mother, but she did choose you. For that you can thank her. May you go and in peace today knowing that you were chosen, and loved. Happy Mother's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts on this post, so please take a moment to comment.