Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Today Is A Gift

What is a perfect gift?  The unexpected? Something you have always wanted? Time? Sleep?  I posted on my Facebook today that, "Today is a gift. A perfect and wonderful gift."

I woke to  sunshine beaming in the window. I was certain it was noon. I checked in on the boys still sleeping. Did everyone sleep until noon today? It was around 6am. Wait!!!  I wanted to sleep until noon. Instead I ended up doing the dishes. Unloading a dishwasher, filling it with last night's dishes and hand-washing all the bigger dishes. I sipped on coffee. I looked at what I need to be getting done today and just smiled. Ahhhh what a gift. Today is a gift. A perfect and wonderful gift.

As I cleaned up the dishes I looked out across the apple orchard at all the green. Sprinkled with colors of flowers here and there. The sky blue. I thought that who ever is on dish duty today will get a surprise. A gift to them. The coffee was already made. I poured a cup. A gift to me. The sun beaming down from the heavens. Another gift for me. I stepped outside for a moment in my jammies breathing in the crisp Spring air. Oh the gift of life and the air in my lungs felt like another gift.  Thinking of what I would do today. A gift to have an unplanned day to make plans.

I make lists for the week. Thinks I hope to get done this week. Very few items have day/time limits because I can put next week on this week and be ahead of myself. I found my way back to my desk after dishes, and coffee. And I sat thanking God for today. Today is an unexpected gift. A day off from work. No, really a day off.  Most of my days off are planned vacations, appointments, and errands which involved planning, organization, and then being the leader of my family and seeing that everyone is in the car, and off we go into whatever we have planned. Something I have wanted for almost a year is just one day. A day to sleep in until noon, drink coffee, and stay in my jammies. I had five of those days last January. But it does not count when you have the flu. I have wanted time. Time that is wide open with nothing scheduled. I wanted to sleep in. All would be a gift.

Today is that gift. The unexpected day off. A gift from my boss after a long week last week. Recognizing that I gave my all and yesterday after only two hours of work she instructed me to go home, and take today off, too. She said I had gone above and beyond the call of duty. So the unexpected started yesterday and the boys and I took time together doing things like shopping together, hanging out at a park. That unexpected gift has spilled into today. I was up at 6am ready for the unexpected gift to be opened all day long. I guess in my thoughts I thought sleeping in until noon would be fun and drinking coffee all day, but that is not really me. I love to be moving and doing. It's how I am wired. Today I am moving and grooving here on the farm.


I am thankful for good health, truly a gift. To take walks in the country, work in the garden, and even working in the barn today. What is your idea of a gift?  Whatever it is, look for it in your day today. It's waiting for you.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts on this post, so please take a moment to comment.